Barley with ghee and mineral salt Garbanzo beans with ghee, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, asafetida, and mineral salt Kale with coconut oil, fresh ginger, cumin seeds, cardamom powder, fennel seeds, and mineral salt Butternut squash with ghee, coriander … Continue reading
-Brown Basmati rice with coconut oil and mineral salt -Sweet potatoes and beets with ghee, fresh ginger, coriander powder, nutmeg and mineral salt. -Green cabbage and Dino Kale with sesame oil, fresh turmeric, fresh ginger, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander … Continue reading
Carrot Squash Soup with Ginger (see recipe below) Avocado Slice Dosas made with cumin seeds and coriander powder. Adzuki Bean Hummus: Adzukis cooked with ghee, mineral salt, asafoetida, cumin, cinnamon. Blended with tahini, sesame oil, a squeeze of lime, and … Continue reading
- Sweet potatoes and green kale with fresh cranberries, cinnamon ghee, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and nutmeg
- White basmati rice with dried apricots, fresh cranberries, cinnamon ghee, fresh ginger and turmeric
- Green beans with coconut oil, almonds, fresh ginger, and cardamom
- A sweet, plump date!
- Barley with brown rice (1:1 ratio), ghee and a pinch of cardamom and cinnamon
- Adzuki beans with ghee, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and asafoetida
- Delicata squash with ghee, fresh ginger, cinnamon, coriander, and nutmeg
- Kale with red cabbage, sesame oil, turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander powder, and fennel seeds
First meal back in Tahoe!
- Barley with ghee
- Whole mung beans with ghee, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and asafoetida
- Pumpkin and acorn squash (both from the farmers’ market!) with ghee, fresh ginger, coriander powder, a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon. Topped with pumpkin seeds toasted with ghee and curry powder. Yum!
- Broccoli and kale with ghee, fresh ginger, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and coriander powder.
Love these fall vegetables. I cooked a pumpkin (I assume Sugar Pie variety), which was surprisingly watery and juicy, with a light flavor. The acorn squash was much denser, meatier, and more flavorful. A good combination, and fun to compare! I love the grounding heartiness of the acorn squash- it has been so cold and windy, and those nourishing qualities are just what we need this time of year.
I am not a big fan of okra, but this recipe is so delicious I actually wanted more. Best okra I’ve ever made.
- 8 c Okra, chopped
- 10 c Green Kale, chopped
- 5 T coconut oil
- 1 T + 2 t grated ginger
- 1 T + 2 t grated turmeric
- 1 T + 2 t brown mustard seeds
- 1 T dill seeds
- 1 1/2 t mineral salt
- 1 T + 1 t cumin powder
- 2 1/2 t cinnamon powder
Heat oil in a pan, add ginger, turmeric, seeds, salt, and cumin powder and stir until the spices aroma comes up. Add okra, stir to coat, and lightly simmer for about 5 mins. Add cinnamon, kale, and water to about 1/3 level of veggies. Reduce heat and simmer until the kale turns bright green and okra is softer.
Recipe adapted from Myra Lewin’s at www.halepule.com
Day 7, Midday Meal: Modified Simple Kitchadt with Carrot and Kale
For this last meal of our kitchadi cleanse, I decided to spice it up a bit by adding about 2 T fennel seeds (cooling, great for digestion) and 12 fresh curry leaves to the Simple Kitchadi recipe. The curry leaf has a great and mildly sour (think limey) taste and it turned out super yummy!
Day 7, Evening Meal: Whole foods, served separately!
- White Basmati Rice with ghee
- Mung beans with ghee, mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- Cabbage with sunflower oil, cardamom and coriander
- Yellow beets and yacon root with fresh ginger, fennel powder and fenugreek powder