Barley with ghee and mineral salt Garbanzo beans with ghee, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, asafetida, and mineral salt Kale with coconut oil, fresh ginger, cumin seeds, cardamom powder, fennel seeds, and mineral salt Butternut squash with ghee, coriander … Continue reading
The pink Kitchadi! This one is great for cleansing and detoxing- with burdock, dandelion root, beets and beet greens, this was a hit with the Japanese ladies. Slightly sweet (because of the beets) but definitely having some bitterness with the other roots, this kitchadi will do your body good and taste great. Hale Pule’s recipe calls for barley instead of basmati. Though basmati rice is easier for the body to digest, the bulk and fibrous quality of barley helps to move matter through the digestive tract and stimulates the liver. We didn’t have any, so I went with brown basmati. For additional ease of elimination, I added extra ghee and some extra spicing.
5 c brown basmati rice (or barley)
2 1/2 c split mung beans
16 T ghee
3 T cumin seeds
3 T brown mustard seeds
3 T coriander seeds seeds
1 T 2 t mineral salt
4 T fresh grated ginger
1 T fresh grated turmeric
1 T cardamom powder
1 T coriander powder
2 c fresh burdock, chopped
1/2 c dandelion root, chopped (dried and reconstituted)
10 c beets, chopped
Top with parsley, cilantro, ground flax seed
10 c beet greens, chopped
- Barley with brown rice (1:1 ratio), ghee and a pinch of cardamom and cinnamon
- Adzuki beans with ghee, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and asafoetida
- Delicata squash with ghee, fresh ginger, cinnamon, coriander, and nutmeg
- Kale with red cabbage, sesame oil, turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander powder, and fennel seeds
First meal back in Tahoe!
- Barley with ghee
- Whole mung beans with ghee, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and asafoetida
- Pumpkin and acorn squash (both from the farmers’ market!) with ghee, fresh ginger, coriander powder, a pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon. Topped with pumpkin seeds toasted with ghee and curry powder. Yum!
- Broccoli and kale with ghee, fresh ginger, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and coriander powder.
Love these fall vegetables. I cooked a pumpkin (I assume Sugar Pie variety), which was surprisingly watery and juicy, with a light flavor. The acorn squash was much denser, meatier, and more flavorful. A good combination, and fun to compare! I love the grounding heartiness of the acorn squash- it has been so cold and windy, and those nourishing qualities are just what we need this time of year.
- Avocado fresh from the tree!
- Napa cabbage with ghee, mustard seeds, coriander powder and cumin powder
- Adzuki beans with ghee, cumin powder, coriander powder, cinnamon and asafoetida
- Barley with coconut oil
- Purple sweet potatoes (I haven’t seen them outside Hawaii, they are amazing) with coconut oil, fresh ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a splash of freshly-made coconut milk (coconut water blended with the coconut meat, from a medium-aged coconut)
Day 5, Midday and Evening Meals: Liver/Gall Bladder Cleansing Kitchadi
This one is much more delicious than it sounds! It is another diuretic kitchadi and just mildly laxative. In the midday meal I used zucchini and collard greens, and for the evening meal I used pumpkin and kale (so good with barley!). The recipe calls for the following modifications to the Simple Kitchadi:
- No ghee, substitute 3 T sunflower oil
- No rice, substitute 1 c pearled barley
- Increase to 1/2 t black mustard seeds
- Add 6 – 8″ chopped burdock root
- Add 1 chopped parsnip
- Add 1 T chopped dried dandelion root
- about 15 – 20 mins before cooking is complete, add broccoli or dark leafy greens for extractive vegetables (collard greens and kale are great)
Recipe by Myra Lewin at www.halepule.com
- Barley with coconut oil and shredded coconut, sprinkled with fresh basil
- Green kale and dino kale with alfalfa sprouts, coriander seeds and powder, mustard seeds, and dill seeds
- Sprouted mung beans with sesame oil, sesame seeds, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and asafoetida
- Zucchini and bok choy with sesame oil, sesame seeds, turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek seeds, and a pinch of black pepper
- Avo slices
- Barley with ghee, parsley and lemon
- Garbanzos with ghee, sesame seeds, cumin, coriander, turmeric and asafoetida
- Creamed sweet corn with basil, salt and pepper
- Collard greens and kale with ginger, turmeric, coriander, and mustard seeds
Topped with fresh sprouts and lots of love. All veggies came from the farmer’s market the previous day!